BUTTER CHICKEN / MURG MAKHANI
A rich Punjabi dish which traces back to the Mogul times which is rich succulent and buttery
- 250 g chicken breast
- ½ dsp sunflower oil
- 1 dsp butter
- 1 medium onion - sliced
- 1-2 cloves of garlic finely chopped
- 1.5 cm piece of ginger finely chopped
- 1 green chilli finely chopped
- Salt to taste
- ½ carton / tin coconut cream
Tomato Cream Sauce
- ½ dsp butter
- ½ tsp chopped ginger
- 2 medium tomatoes chopped
- 1 slit red chilli
- Salt to taste
- ½ tsp sugar
- ½ tsp cornflour
- 1 dsp double cream
- 1 dsp heaped, of tomato puree
- 1 tsp lemon juice to taste
- ¼ tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp chopped coriander leaves
- Cut chicken breasts into bite size pieces.
- Heat the oil and butter in a dry wok, on a medium heat.
- When hot, add the sliced onion & fry until golden brown.
- Next, add finely chopped garlic, ginger and chopped chilli and stir until oil separates from the mixture.
- Add the chicken pieces and fry until they are sealed (Turns white in colour).
- Add salt and the coconut cream.
- Cover and cook on medium heat until the chicken is tender and the gravy thickens.
- Next add the tomato cream sauce.
Tomato Cream sauce:
- Heat butter in a saucepan over a medium heat and add chopped ginger, tomatoes, slit red chilli, salt and sugar. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Beat the cornflour, cream and tomato puree together and add to the cooked tomato mix.
- When it boils, add this sauce to the cooked tender chicken in the wok, and cook until the sauce thickens.
- Remove from the heat and stir in lemon juice.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and garam masala.
- tsp teaspoon
- tbsp tablespoon
- dsp dessert spoon
- pinch or dash less than ⅛ teaspoon
- g gram
- ml millilitre
- cm centimetre
- 1 cup approx 225ml